Swift: A language for distributed parallel scripting. Scientists, engineers, and statisticians must execute domain-specific application programs many times on large collections of file-based data. This activity requires complex orchestration and data management as data is passed to, from, and among application invocations. Distributed and parallel computing resources can accelerate such processing, but their use further increases programming complexity. The Swift parallel scripting language reduces these complexities by making file system structures accessible via language constructs and by allowing ordinary application programs to be composed into powerful parallel scripts that can efficiently utilize parallel and distributed resources. We present Swift’s implicitly parallel and deterministic programming model, which applies external applications to file collections using a functional style that abstracts and simplifies distributed parallel execution.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Ramon-Cortes, Cristian; Alvarez, Pol; Lordan, Francesc; Alvarez, Javier; Ejarque, Jorge; Badia, Rosa M.: A survey on the distributed computing stack (2021)
- Garzella, Jack J.; Baranowski, Marek; He, Shaobo; Rakamarić, Zvonimir: Leveraging compiler intermediate representation for multi- and cross-language verification (2020)
- Yadu Babuji, Anna Woodard, Zhuozhao Li, Daniel S. Katz, Ben Clifford, Rohan Kumar, Lukasz Lacinski, Ryan Chard, Justin M. Wozniak, Ian Foster, Michael Wilde, Kyle Chard: Parsl: Pervasive Parallel Programming in Python (2019) arXiv
- Maria Luiza Mondelli, Thiago Magalhães, Guilherme Loss, Michael Wilde, Ian Foster, Marta Mattoso, Daniel S. Katz, Helio J. C. Barbosa, Ana Tereza R. Vasconcelos, Kary Ocaña, Luiz M. R. Gadelha Jr: BioWorkbench: A High-Performance Framework for Managing and Analyzing Bioinformatics Experiments (2018) arXiv
- Li, Jiayin; Qiu, Meikang; Ming, Zhong; Quan, Gang; Qin, Xiao; Gu, Zonghua: Online optimization for scheduling preemptable tasks on iaas cloud systems (2012) ioport
- Wilde, Michael; Hategan, Mihael; Wozniak, Justin M.; Clifford, Ben; Katz, Daniel S.; Foster, Ian: Swift: A language for distributed parallel scripting (2011) ioport