Isomap: a global geometric framework for nonlinear dimensionality reduction. Scientists working with large volumes of high-dimensional data, such as global climate patterns, stellar spectra, or human gene distributions, regularly confront the problem of dimensionality reduction: finding meaningful low-dimensional structures hidden in their high-dimensional observations. The human brain confronts the same problem in everyday perception, extracting from its high-dimensional sensory inputs-30,000 auditory nerve fibers or 10(6) optic nerve fibers-a manageably small number of perceptually relevant features. Here we describe an approach to solving dimensionality reduction problems that uses easily measured local metric information to learn the underlying global geometry of a data set. Unlike classical techniques such as principal component analysis (PCA) and multidimensional scaling (MDS), our approach is capable of discovering the nonlinear degrees of freedom that underlie complex natural observations, such as human handwriting or images of a face under different viewing conditions. In contrast to previous algorithms for nonlinear dimensionality reduction, ours efficiently computes a globally optimal solution, and, for an important class of data manifolds, is guaranteed to converge asymptotically to the true structure.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Ferraro, Maria Brigida; Giordani, Paolo: A review and proposal of (fuzzy) clustering for nonlinearly separable data (2019)
- Wang, Jianzhong: Mathematical analysis on out-of-sample extensions (2018)
- Kovacev-Nikolic, Violeta; Bubenik, Peter; Nikolić, Dragan; Heo, Giseon: Using persistent homology and dynamical distances to analyze protein binding (2016)
- Wang, Shaowei; Zhuo, Zhizheng; Yang, Hongyu; Li, Haiyun: An approach to facial expression recognition integrating radial basis function kernel and multidimensional scaling analysis (2014) ioport
- Rafailidis, D.; Manolopoulou, S.; Daras, P.: A unified framework for multimodal retrieval (2013) ioport
- Shang, Fanhua; Jiao, L. C.; Shi, Jiarong; Gong, Maoguo; Shang, R. H.: Fast density-weighted low-rank approximation spectral clustering (2011)
- Chui, Charles K.; Wang, Jianzhong: Randomized anisotropic transform for nonlinear dimensionality reduction (2010)
- Yang, Yi; Wu, Fei; Xu, Dong; Zhuang, Yueting; Chia, Liang-Tien: Cross-media retrieval using query dependent search methods (2010)
- Boschetti, Fabio: A local linear embedding module for evolutionary computation optimization (2008)
- Choi, Heeyoul; Choi, Seungjin: Robust kernel Isomap (2007)
- Zhuang, Yueting; Zhang, Jian; Wu, Fei: Hallucinating faces: LPH super-resolution and neighbor reconstruction for residue compensation (2007)