Simplex QP-based methods for minimizing a conic quadratic objective over polyhedra. We consider minimizing a conic quadratic objective over a polyhedron. Such problems arise in parametric value-at-risk minimization, portfolio optimization, and robust optimization with ellipsoidal objective uncertainty; and they can be solved by polynomial interior point algorithms for conic quadratic optimization. However, interior point algorithms are not well-suited for branch-and-bound algorithms for the discrete counterparts of these problems due to the lack of effective warm starts necessary for the efficient solution of convex relaxations repeatedly at the nodes of the search tree. In order to overcome this shortcoming, we reformulate the problem using the perspective of the quadratic function. The perspective reformulation lends itself to simple coordinate descent and bisection algorithms utilizing the simplex method for quadratic programming, which makes the solution methods amenable to warm starts and suitable for branch-and-bound algorithms. We test the simplex-based quadratic programming algorithms to solve convex as well as discrete instances and compare them with the state-of-the-art approaches. The computational experiments indicate that the proposed algorithms scale much better than interior point algorithms and return higher precision solutions. In our experiments, for large convex instances, they provide up to 22x speed-up. For smaller discrete instances, the speed-up is about 13x over a barrier-based branch-and-bound algorithm and 6x over the LP-based branch-and-bound algorithm with extended formulations. The software that was reviewed as part of this submission was given the Digital Object identifier https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1489153.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Gómez, Andrés; Prokopyev, Oleg A.: A mixed-integer fractional optimization approach to best subset selection (2021)
- Atamtürk, Alper; Deck, Carlos; Jeon, Hyemin: Successive quadratic upper-bounding for discrete mean-risk minimization and network interdiction (2020)
- Atamtürk, Alper; Gómez, Andrés: Submodularity in conic quadratic mixed 0-1 optimization (2020)
- Atamtürk, Alper; Gómez, Andrés: Simplex QP-based methods for minimizing a conic quadratic objective over polyhedra (2019)
- Buchheim, Christoph; De Santis, Marianna: An active set algorithm for robust combinatorial optimization based on separation oracles (2019)