Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence. I present a new Stata program, xtscc, that estimates pooled or- dinary least-squares/weighted least-squares regression and fixed-effects (within) regression models with Driscoll and Kraay (Review of Economics and Statistics 80: 549–560) standard errors. By running Monte Carlo simulations, I compare the finite-sample properties of the cross-sectional dependence–consistent Driscoll– Kraay estimator with the properties of other, more commonly used covariance ma- trix estimators that do not account for cross-sectional dependence. The results in- dicate that Driscoll–Kraay standard errors are well calibrated when cross-sectional dependence is present. However, erroneously ignoring cross-sectional correlation in the estimation of panel models can lead to severely biased statistical results. I illustrate the xtscc program by considering an application from empirical finance. Thereby, I also propose a Hausman-type test for fixed effects that is robust to general forms of cross-sectional and temporal dependence.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Cox, Caleb A.; Stoddard, Brock: Framing and feedback in social dilemmas with partners and strangers (2015)
- Liu, Lily Y.; Patton, Andrew J.; Sheppard, Kevin: Does anything beat 5-minute RV? A comparison of realized measures across multiple asset classes (2015)
- Xu, Lizhi; Fang, Shu-Cherng; Zhang, Xun: Transport costs and China’s exports: some empirical evidences (2013)
- Yap, Ghialy: The impacts of exchange rates on Australia’s domestic and outbound travel markets (2013)
- Barnum, Darold T.; Gleason, John M.; Karlaftis, Matthew G.; Schumock, Glen T.; Shields, Karen L.; Tandon, Sonali; Walton, Surrey M.: Estimating DEA confidence intervals with statistical panel data analysis (2012)
- Vogelsang, Timothy J.: Heteroskedasticity, autocorrelation, and spatial correlation robust inference in linear panel models with fixed-effects (2012)
- Daniel Hoechle: Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence (2007) not zbMATH