FiberSCIP, a parallel extensions of SCIP. SCIP (Solving Constraint Integer Programs), a framework for Constraint Integer Programming. Recently, parallel computing environments have become significantly popular. In order to obtain the benefit of using parallel computing environments, we have to deploy our programs for these effectively. This paper focuses on a parallelization of SCIP (Solving Constraint Integer Programs), which is a MIP solver and constraint integer programming framework available in source code. There is a parallel extension of SCIP named ParaSCIP, which parallelizes SCIP on massively parallel distributed memory computing environments. This paper describes FiberSCIP, which is yet another parallel extension of SCIP to utilize multi-threaded parallel computation on shared memory computing environments, and has the following contributions: First, the basic concept of having two parallel extensions and the relationship between them and the parallelization framework provided by UG (Ubiquity Generator) is presented, including an implementation of deterministic parallelization. Second, the difficulties to achieve a good performance that utilizes all resources on an actual computing environment and the difficulties of performance evaluation of the parallel solvers are discussed. Third, a way to evaluate the performance of new algorithms and parameter settings of the parallel extensions is presented. Finally, current performance of FiberSCIP for solving mixed-integer linear programs (MIPs) and mixed-integer non-linear programs (MINLPs) in parallel is demonstrated.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Kim, Kibaek; Zavala, Victor M.: Algorithmic innovations and software for the dual decomposition method applied to stochastic mixed-integer programs (2018)
- Shinano, Yuji: The ubiquity generator framework: 7 years of progress in parallelizing branch-and-bound (2018)
- Shinano, Yuji; Berthold, Timo; Heinz, Stefan: ParaXpress: an experimental extension of the FICO Xpress-Optimizer to solve hard MIPs on supercomputers (2018)
- Shinano, Yuji; Heinz, Stefan; Vigerske, Stefan; Winkler, Michael: FiberSCIP -- a shared memory parallelization of SCIP (2018)
- Gamrath, Gerald; Koch, Thorsten; Maher, Stephen J.; Rehfeldt, Daniel; Shinano, Yuji: SCIP-Jack -- a solver for STP and variants with parallelization extensions (2017)
- Shinano, Yuji; Berthold, Timo; Heinz, Stefan: A first implementation of ParaXpress: combining internal and external parallelization to solve MIPs on supercomputers (2016)
- Eckstein, Jonathan; Hart, William E.; Phillips, Cynthia A.: PEBBL: an object-oriented framework for scalable parallel branch and bound (2015)
- Fischetti, Matteo; Monaci, Michele; Salvagnin, Domenico: Self-splitting of workload in parallel computation (2014) ioport