PaCAL: A Python Package for Arithmetic Computations with Random Variables. In this paper we present PaCAL, a Python package for arithmetical computations on random variables. The package is capable of performing the four arithmetic operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as computing many standard functions of random variables. Summary statistics, random number generation, plots, and histograms of the resulting distributions can easily be obtained and distribution parameter fitting is also available. The operations are performed numerically and their results interpolated allowing for arbitrary arithmetic operations on random variables following practically any probability distribution encountered in practice. The package is easy to use, as operations on random variables are performed just as they are on standard Python variables. Independence of random variables is, by default, assumed on each step but some computations on dependent random variables are also possible. We demonstrate on several examples that the results are very accurate, often close to machine precision. Practical applications include statistics, physical measurements or estimation of error distributions in scientific computations.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Aurentz, Jared L.; Trefethen, Lloyd N.: Chopping a Chebyshev series (2017)
- Stefanini, Luciano; Guerra, Maria Letizia: On possibilistic representations of fuzzy intervals (2017)
- Aliev, R. A.; Huseynov, O. H.; Zeinalova, L. M.: The arithmetic of continuous Z-numbers (2016)
- Schölkopf, Bernhard; Muandet, Krikamol; Fukumizu, Kenji; Harmeling, Stefan; Peters, Jonas: Computing functions of random variables via reproducing kernel Hilbert space representations (2015)
- Hale, Nicholas; Townsend, Alex: An algorithm for the convolution of Legendre series (2014)
- Marcin Korzeń; Szymon Jaroszewicz: PaCAL: A Python Package for Arithmetic Computations with Random Variables (2014) not zbMATH
- Jaroszewicz, Szymon; Korzeń, Marcin: Arithmetic operations on independent random variables: a numerical approach (2012)